Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Company of Women

Today I returned to my faith group after being away for two weeks.  What a remarkable group of women.  
We have been reading Joyce Rupp's book May I Have This Dance?  and I am always so grateful for the insights of these women who share their faith.
Today we were discussing "June" in the book and how we seek God.  We were sharing our thoughts about what drew us to seek God and how we often don't think about God seeking us.  I am always conscious of when I deliberately seek out God.  What I came away with today was all the ways I seek Him/Her without realizing it.  How there's so much more to seeking God then just praying to Him/Her.
Jan is one of our members and she so often has such words of wisdom.  Today she inspired so many of us with her reflection on how her meditation went at the end of the chapter.  The author asks the reader to meditate on your home of the heart.  To build that home, to put certain items into it.  Jan talked of how her home was made of glass, had a fireplace in it before the author even suggested it!  And then she spoke words that reverberated throughout many of us:  "My home is at the top of the mountain where I can view the Great Divide."  It was a simple statement of fact for Jan.  She loves the mountains; feels close to God in them and so for her it was natural to find herself there.  What struck so many of us was her choice of words "The Great Divide."  See!  I put them in caps!
What animated discussion we had.  Many of us envy her (in the best way possible!) of her being able to see the Great Divide.  Yet Jan was amazed at all we read into it.
Now I live by symbols.  I love them.  They affirm me; guide me; comfort me.  So I visualized immediately the symbolism of the words.  Jan could gaze upon the point in her life where all that came before explained all that came after.  She had reached that point in her spiritual life perhaps, where she had crossed that Great Divide.  The questions have been mostly answered.  Some may linger, but her God has led her to a point where she can gaze out with clear eyes and full heart.  The questions don't matter as much as the knowledge that there are answers...and they will come because God is with her.
What a momentous moment for Jan!!  What inspiration for us who are still climbing up that mountain range never sure when we'll find that Great Divide we can cross over.  And what strength for those of us who are on the lip of that Great Divide and hovering over placing our foot down on the other side.
Women's Faith groups are such incredible melting pots of life experiences, reflections and questions.  I have grown so much through my participation in them.  I can share with these women from all over the country who happen to be right here, right now, my inner fears, thoughts and convictions.  They listen.  They share their similar experiences and all the time God moves between us.  Sometimes with a sigh in the ear, sometimes with a nudge in the ribs, sometimes with an outright laugh.  And many times with a consoling arm around the shoulders as a weight is lifted off one's soul and placed on the table before us.
Today I give thanks to these women who walk next to me.  They lead me, they counsel me, they comfort me and most of all they believe in me.  What empowerment.  What grace. What a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment